Friday, November 28, 2014

Reflective Teacher at TeachThought- November Blog Challenge- Day 28


There is one moment this year that showed me where I am going to be for the rest of my teaching career. It took me off a path that I was moving along, and put me back on a path that it knows I should continue on. At the time, I did not see it as a blessing or that life was just righting me on its correct path. I saw it as a missed opportunity and
viewed the whole moment as a chess game where I was one of the pieces being moved around on the board. Not in control.


Not getting the job of department chairman was a deep disappointment and I know that I have referenced it before in my blog challenge posts. I am not a person with a deep faith to immediately believe..."this happened for a reason.". I believe more in taking control of your life, grabbing the bull by the horns and going for everything that you deserve. This was the way that I was going to spend the last 10 years of my teaching career. 

But deep in my heart I know that things do happen for a reason, although I am not quick to believe that right away. It was better that I did not get the job, because I would have had to give up many of the things that I do outside of the classroom that connect with even more students and teachers. My online class and the TeachThought wiki to name a few. Those things bring me great joy,  reinforce my teaching, offer me amazing PLN support and lunch my teaching into the 21st century. Can't live without those, need those to be who I am!

In the end, life guided me to stay an educator in the classroom, working with students both near and far, networking with teachers across the globe and having the time to reflect and grow. To spend the next 10 years being the best I can be, and exiting with a bang! And for that I am grateful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment