Saturday, September 20, 2014

Teach Thought 30 Day Blogging Challenge- Day 20

Teach Thought 30 Day Blogging Challenge- Day 20

I think I need to unveil my secret project...

I spent all of the summer creating a template for an e-portfolio using Google Sites. I don't have it "public" yet since I want to make sure that I have all the bugs worked out. And ugh,  I did find one the other day. Darn that Sharing Setting on Google....make sure that you check it over in every nook and cranny of your site before you throw it out there!

I am piloting the e-portfolio in my AP Spanish class as a place for learners to curate and reflect on their skills leading up the AP Exam in May. After working through the logistics, pumping up technology skills, and lots of screencasts/demos, students seem to moving right along!

Here are my lovely students doing a speaking assessment on the Chromebooks (using Voice Recorder) which afterwards they downloaded and reflected upon in the e-portfolio. Donuts came after!

The e-portfolio is a place where I am asking students to place evidence of the 4 skills in a language: speaking, writing, listening and reading. After students place an audio, writing piece, reading/listening assessment in the portfolio, they are also asked to reflect on that pieces of evidence and place those thoughts in the portfolio as well. With me linked up on the portfolio, I have an opportunity to read reflections and conference/follow up with any student to give feedback and coach them. The portfolio also contains a spreadsheet with ACTFL Performance Indicators and Can-Do Statements from my area of teaching. I periodically ask students to look at the Performance Indicators and evaluate themselves where I once again dialogue with them to talk about how they are performing as well as help them to set goals to move forward with their language proficiency.  

So far things are going well. So happy to have those Chromebooks in my class for a semester. What am I going to do next semester when they get shipped off for another department to use?! I think I need to go talk to an administrator because this e-portfolio initiative is epic. This is by far the best way to house students' work and reflections on their learning! 

No comments:

Post a Comment