Thursday, September 18, 2014

TeachThought 30 Day Blogging Challenge- Day 18

TeachThought 30 Day Blogging Challenge- Day 18

As an individual and teacher I am like a ...

Did you know that sharks constantly swim as a species? Did you know that they need to keep moving to get water moving across the gills? When sharks move forward it forces water through their gills which draws the oxygen out of the water and into their system. They need to keep moving in order to exist.


As an educator and as an individual, that fits me to a tee. I don't mean the evil looking teeth, black eyes or feeding habits, (well, I do admit that Steven Spielberg's Jaws (1975) is one of my favs!)  but I am referring to the constant movement both they and I require. I need to be busy, I need to have my tasks, I need my to-do list, I need to have a goal. Maybe because life is more interesting for me that way and seems to move along quickly when I have a task that I am focusing on. Maybe I am just never satisfied.

That includes my teaching as well. I am in constant review/reflect/re-create mode. I am uneasy about pulling out any activities without giving them a second look and a possible review. I like making things and trying new approaches if in the end it's what's right for the students. Even if it means more work. I like to ponder: What went right last time? and What went wrong? I am a doer and a thoughtful educator.We need more educators to be sharks if we are to prepare them for the 21st century and our interconnected world!
 
I am like a shark because I always have to keep moving in the classroom, doing things to be a better teacher and educate my students in ways that will help them learn more. If I stop moving, I cease to be! Forward, always forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment