Tuesday, September 9, 2014

TeachThought 30 Day Blogger Challenge- Day 9

TeachThought 30 Day Blogger Challenge- Day 9

Biggest accomplishment no one knows about?

Being the center of attention is not my style. I like being in the background, hanging out at the fringe. I feel good there because I can observe people, learn from their mistakes, not dip my toe in the water until I am good and ready. Tortoise or the hare you ask? I say the tortoise- slow and steady wins the game for me.


This year I read Sheryl Sandberg's Lean In and I was really struck by her challenge- What would I do if I were not afraid? It went to my core. It made me think. How much more further could I go in my life if I were more of a risk-taker, an "all-in" gal, a woman who just goes for something?

I figured lots.

So my biggest accomplishment is that I am taking risks. I am attempting to put myself out there, to lean in more, to position myself more in the action than on the fringe. But taking risks can bring loss and disappointment.  Recently I put myself all in for a new position at my school- and that did not work out like I hoped. I walked away sad,confused, mad,...and wanting to retreat back into my tortoise shell.And I did for awhile to determine if I still wanted to stay in that comfy place or find my grit and
take more risks knowing I have lots to offer the world.

So here I am again. Opening another door and leaning in. This door that I opened is a great new place! With a little "leaning in" and a lot of help and support from Justine Hughes and the people at TeachThought, I am helping to guide 80+ teachers in a 30 Day Blogging Challenge! 

So here's to doing things, taking risks even when you are afraid!

1 comment:

  1. We make a great team I think! That's the hardest thing - having the confidence in yourself to be able to step out and take risks to share with others. Love having you as part of the team Beth. :-)

    ReplyDelete