Wednesday, September 3, 2014

TeachThought 30 Day Blogger Challenge- Day 3

TeachThought 30 Day Blogger Challenge- Day3

 



Yes, our blog posting today is about observation. For me that is the Danielson Model.

There are a couple of areas within the Danielson Model that just leave me scratching my head. I am sure that there are many of you that feel the same way that I do. What do I need to do to get to that next level? I definitely am not one to shy away from a good challenge and there is one nagging area that is diffiecult for a language teacher.I am looking to improve my 3B Discussion and Questioning Techniques with my students. This can get pretty tricky in a lower level language classroom. I really want to get students to lead discussions, move the dialogue forward, lead the class BUT use the target language in the classroom. Charlotte pulls me in one direction and ACTFL Standards pull me in another.

As always, I am trying to shoot for the middle ground here, so I did move to a model of having the students lead off the class with telling me what we studied yesterday in the class. I think that is working pretty effectively since it asks students to make connections from yesterday to today. I do find that some classes are better than others at making connections (sleepy students, or just a quiet class in general) but I am working on it every day! Even if students start the class off by giving me 1 word in Spanish as to what we did yesterday in class, progress is being made. And students are leading the discussion in class, not me.

If you have any other suggestions on how to have students lead discussions, especially in beginning level language classes, please forward them to me. I would love to learn more. 



Beth
 

No comments:

Post a Comment